Have you ever heard of crazy shakes, or also known as “freak shakes”? These are outrageous milkshakes that double as drinks and dessert. They are SUPER fun to make…and even more fun to drink! The first day of Spring: March 20 is also known as The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day. You know…the old classic childhood book we all grew up on? I don’t have enough space in this corner of the internet to properly spell out my insane love and devotion for this book. So, instead, I’ll share with you this recipe on how to create this Very Hungry Caterpillar Crazy Shake to celebrate The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day!
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day Milkshake
This post will contain affiliate links. I’m a teacher and this is my side-gig. But let’s be honest…I’ll probably blow it all on new books anyway.
Multi-Colored Gum Balls
White and Black cookie icing
White fFrosted Doughnut
Fruit Gummy candy stick (Found at Cracker Barrel) or Twizzler
Orange Gillyum Stick
Green Rock Candy
Sour Watermelon Slices
Sour Jelly Candy (Found at Cracker Barrel)
1 Kids Sun Sugar Cookie (Ask your local bakery)
1 can of Whipped Cream
1 container of White Frosting
Caterpillar Gum Ball Worm:
1 Red Gum Ball
3 Green Gum Balls
1 Blue Gum Ball
1 bottle of Edible Glue (or you can make your own with a few ingredients)
White Cookie Icing
Black Cookie Icing
- Using the edible glue, glue together the gum balls and place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to dry for 2 hours.
- Using the white cookie icing, add two small dots onto the red gum ball.
- Add two small black dots onto the white icing for the pupils.
- Using two bamboo sticks and tape, tape together the sticks so that they do not break apart.
- Using the white cookie icing, pipe a line down the middle of the stick and place 5-7 watermelon pieces onto the icing.
- Allow to dry for 2 hours.
5 Scoops of strawberry ice cream
1/4 C whole milk
Blend ingredients until smooth
- Using a butterknife and the white frosting, spread on frosting onto the rim of the glass.
- Individually place the sour gummy candies onto the frosting.
- Pour the milkshake about 3/4 way into the prepared glass.
- Place the doughnut onto the top of the milkshake so that it sits on the rim of the glass.
- Place the sun cookie into the middle of the doughnut in the back.
- On the right side, place the watermelon stick in front of the cookie.
- On the left side place the fruit stick in front of the cookie.
- Place the green rock candy stick in front of the watermelon stick on the right side.
- Pipe whipped cream into the center of the doughnut.
- Place the Orange Gillyum stick in the left side of the whipped cream.
- Carefully place the gumball worm in front of the whipped cream that way it sits on the top of the doughnut.
Wow! Did you do it? I know it seems like so much work, but once you have all of your ingredients, it’s really easy to assemble. And guess what? This is your crazy milkshake so add or take away anything want! You really can’t mess this up!
Enjoy, my little caterpillars!
Oh, and if you don’t own The Very Hungry Caterpillar book, please fix that! It deserves to be on your child’s shelf! In fact, I still have my 30+ year old copy!
Leave a Reply