I’m writing and putting together this list of educational apps for preschoolers very quickly admist our current state of affairs: Coronavirus outbreak. I’m so worried that many kids, including my own preschool students, will just be stuck on their tablets for the next 3 weeks and that breaks my heart. We live in a day in age where it’s just easier for them to be entertained by the devices, I get it. But, please don’t let this be the only interaction your kids receive educationally during this school break. Kids love their devices, they are more inclined to tell me at school about their latest app or newest device they received. I hear more about devices and video games than I hear about anything else.
I decided to put this list together for some educational apps your kids could play. If they are going to be on their devices, at least let it be to learn, rather than just veg out on YouTube.
Educational Apps for Preschoolers
Here is a list of the best educational apps and what they are teaching your children. These apps won’t leave you feeling guilty for putting the device in front of your preschooler. These are all engaging and fun learning apps!
- Avokiddo ABC Ride: Avokiddo ABC Ride takes your child on an exciting adventure through the alphabet. You can adjust the degree of difficulty by choosing from lowercase or uppercase letters. Super fun & engaging. Price: $2.99 (no in-app purchases)
- Khan Academy Kids: Fun and educational program with thousands of activities and books. Kids can learn reading, language, writing, math, social-emotional development, problem solving skills, and motor development. Price: Completely free, no ads, no subscriptions
- Moose Math: Engages kids in a mathematical adventure that teaches counting, addition, subtraction, geometry, sorting, and more. Price: Free (no in-app purchases)
- My Very Hungry Caterpillar: Care for your own Very Hungry Caterpillar. Will captivates kids as he crawls across the screen. Have fun playing together, helping him explore, pick him up, or engage in a range of fun activities with him. Hatch him from an egg, feed him tasty fruits, and when he gets sleepy-tuck him in! Price: $5.99
- Letter School: Great app for teaching children how to write their alphabet letters. Each page has a themed way of having your child write the letters. This app makes it fun to learn how to write! Price: 7 day free trial, then choice of subscription
- Preschool Adventure: My Pretend Preschool lets your kids pretend play in a Preschool & Kindergarten setting! There are plenty of rooms in this School to explore including a Preschool Classroom, Music Room, Art Room, Cafeteria, Outdoor Playground, Bathroom & More! Price: Free (in-app purchases)
- FunBrain Jr.: Based on Montessori methods, Funbrain develops spelling, writing, and reading skills through engaging games. Alphabet/number tracing, shape collecting, and more will develop fine motor skills. Price: Free
- Phonics Studio: Makes learning how to pronounce words fun and easy. Besides mastering pronunciations your kids will greatly expand their vocabulary. Price: $1.99
- Wonster Words: Award-winning. Kids play and learn words while putting together interactive puzzles. As the child drags the letter puzzle, the name of the letter and phonics sound will play. Price: Free (in-app purchases)
- Kiddopia-ABC Toddler Games: Dynamic app that runs the gamut of early education and teaches a huge variety of skills to your kids. ABCs, Alphabet Tracing, Spelling, Addition/Subtraction, Number Value, Patterns, Shapes, and Colors. This app is FULL of fun games. Price: Free (in-app purchases)
More Educational Resources to use during this Coronavirus School Break.
Suddenly homeschooling? Use this Daily Preschool Calendar to keep everyone on a schedule.